Thursday, November 5, 2009

Gratitude Thursday



I haven't done this for quite a while, but seeing as it's November and Thanksgiving is just around the corner (or Christmas if you walk into any store in America right now, jeesh--give us a minute to breathe, would ya?!) and Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday because it's all about the gratitude, not the whatyougettingme. And despite the fact that I tend to sink into a bit of depression this time of year when the light goes dim and the trees are bare, I thought I'd put the focus where it belongs.

So today I'm grateful for the imagination of these two boys. They didn't want the store-bought costumes. They didn't want to be Jason, or the freaky thing from Scream. They didn't pick a plastic mask or a costume that came in a bag. They made their decisions early and they stuck to them. E wanted to be a mime. C wanted to be a senior citizen. They had very specific ideas on how to execute these characters and so we gathered up the pieces one by one until it all came together.

And at the Halloween parade, they stood out. They didn't blend into the crowd. E didn't speak all morning--even carried a sign that said "trick-or-treat" and used sign language to say thank you. His teacher told me she thinks I should find a mime school for him to take lessons! And C leaned on his cane and stuck out his pillow-filled butt and rocked it. He looked just like somebody's grandma. Albeit only three feet tall!

I am so proud of them for staying true to themselves, thinking outside the box and not giving in to peer pressure.

I am so grateful for the chance to raise such cool little boys who aren't afraid to be themselves. So grateful.

3 comments:

Steph said...

I thought the same thing when I saw their costumes. I loved that they were homemade and not store-bought like many others. They rocked them! You should be a proud mama.

And are those mary jane shoes on the senior citizen?

Steph :)
xo

kristen said...

what COOL costumes. like you, this time of year can bring on the blues...reading this post chases them away.

Jamie said...

WHat is it about this time of year???
I love the shift from blah to gratitude. Something I need to make a daily practice, especially with all the blah.